Hydroxy Ethyl Cellulose
SidleyCel® HEC (Hydroxy Ethyl Cellulose) is non-ionic cellulose ether, easily dispersed and dissolved in water. It provides thickening, colloid protection, construction property improvement, wetting and stability to final product to ensure high quality. It has high and even degree of substitution and excellent bio-stability, thus can be widely used in stone-like paints, latex paints, oil-drilling additives, detergent, toothpaste and etc.
|Appearance||white or similar to white powder|
|Molar substitution degree(MS)||1.8-2.5|
|Loss on drying||≤6.0%|
|Particle Size||min.92% pass through 80 mesh|
|Apparent Density||0.30-0.50 g/ml|
Paints & Coating Grade HEC
|Hydroxyethy Cellulose||Brookfield Viscosity 2% Solution , at 20ºC|
|HEC – 300SE||250-650 mPa.s|
|HEC – 2000SE||1500-2500 mPa.s|
|HEC – 6000SE||4500-6500 mPa.s|
|Brookfield Viscosity 1% Solution , at 20ºC|
|HEC – 15000SE||700-1500 mPa.s|
|HEC – 30000SE||1500-2400 mPa.s|
|HEC – 40000SE||2400-3500 mPa.s|
|HEC – 100000SE||4500-6000 mPa.s|
HEC provides excellent thickening efficiency, color development, open time, and superior resistance to biodegradation. It also plays a role in the emulsion, dispersion, stability and water retention. The coating has good rheological properties at different shear rates, and has good workability and leveling performance, good splash and sag resistance.
Oil-drilling Grade HEC
|Type||Viscosity mpa.s||Moisture, % ≤||Ash, % ≤||pH|
O series of HEC is mainly used as viscosifier and fluid loss agent in oil drilling industry. High-viscosity HEC is mainly used as viscosifier in well-completing or finishing fluid; while low-viscosity HEC is mainly used as fluid loss agent.
Packaging and Storage
25KG/bag; or customized packaging.
Comparison Data Sheet
|HE-300S||250GR||H 300 P2||QP300|
|HE-6000S||250MR||H 6000 YP2||QP4400H|
|HE-6000SE||250MBR||HS 6000 YP2||ER4400|
|HE-40000S||250HR||H 30000 YP2||QP30000H|
|HE-40000SE||250HBR||HS 30000 YP2||ER30M|
|HE-60000S||–||H 60000 YP2||QP52000H|
|HE-60000SE||250H4BR||HS 60000 YP2||QP52M|
|HE-100000S||250HHR||H 100000 YP2||QP100MH|
|HE-100000SE||250HHBR||HS 100000 YP2||ER100M|
Dissolve Hydroxyethy Cellulose in water
Retarded Hydroxyethy Cellulose can be directly added into paint formulation, will form homogeneous, glazed solution. Period from powder wetted till dissolution completed call hydration time. During this process, solution build up thickening ability.
Temperature and PH has effect on hydration time. Increase PH to 8.0-10.0, will shorten the time 40-60%; temperature increase will shorten this time as well.
Normally, we suggest to add Hydroxyethy Cellulose at room temperature and neutural situation, hydration time is around 25 minutes.
Application Guide for Paint Industry
High Thickening Effects
- SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose provides the latex paints especially high PVA paints with excellent coating performance. When the paint is thick paste, no flocculation will occur.
- SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose has higher thickening effects, so can reduce the dosage, improve the cost-effectiveness of formulation, and enhance the washing resistance of paints.
Excellent Rheological Properties
- The aqueous solution of SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose is a non-Newtonian system, and the properties of the solution are called thixotropy.
- In the stationary state, after the product is completely dissolved, the coating system can maintain the best thickening condition and can-opening state.
- In the dumping state, the system can keep a moderate viscosity, making products with excellent fluidity, and not spatter.
- During brushing and roller coating, the product is easy to spread on the substrate, so convenient for construction, and meanwhile, has good spatter resistance.
- Finally, after the coating of paint is completed, the viscosity of the system will immediately get restored, and the paint will immediately produce sagging property.
Dispersion and Solubility
- SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose is all treated by the delayed dissolution, and in the case of adding dry powder, can effectively prevent caking and make sure hydration starts after the adequate dispersion of HEC powder.
- The SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose after a proper surface treatment can well regulate the dissolution rate and viscosity increase rate of the product.
SidleyCel Hydroxyethy Cellulose has good mildew-resistant performance, provides enough storage time for paints, and effectively prevent settlement of pigments and fillers.